Rides & reports of motorcycle adventures..

11/2/09

strawberry, fossil springs road, 9/16/09

This last wednesday, Tom Kim & I decided to try out Kim's new klx 250 & my wr250 & ride up to strawberry.. it's an easy ride on dirt roads, but they wind around a lot, have lots of switchbacks & slippery gravel, & are good roads for testing out a new bike.



We met in Camp Verde & started down Fossil Springs road. Kim was taking it easy.. trying to get to know the new bike.. an '07 klx.. first time he's taken it on a real ride.




I didn't take a lot of stills, because i was also testing out my new helmet cam.. the contour hd. A small camcorder that writes to an 8g. card. It's pretty cool, & i'm real impressed with the picture quality I'll post a few i uploaded to youtube.



We didn't stop much.. nothing much to see or do along this road. ..just twist the throttle & head up the hill.



wr going up video.. 46 seconds



If you've got a fast computer &/or a good video card, you can watch it in High Definition.. let me know how it looks.. i only have my feeble netbook.




Kim on wr, Tom on klx, me on xrl vid. 2:32



I read that it takes the shadows to bright sun very well, & the colors are much brighter than my old one. Now if i can get a computer that can edit the videos so i don't just have to take short clips all the time...



Me on Honda, catching Kim on wr. 1:42



Once we got on top, we stopped for lunch.. Tom was looking very closely at Kim's klx.. He was the one who started talking about this bike.. Weeks & weeks we've listened to him wanting a lighter bike.. don't need the power of the honda.. too old to go fast.. time for a change.. Kim must have agreed, because he went out & bought one. However i beat them to it with the wr by a week.








The old strawberry lodge for lunch! We had a nice lunch & talked about the merits of the bikes.



But now it was time to go. I wasn't sure how the videos would turn out, so didn't bother taking any others on the way back.



We got back to Camp Verde, & Tom turned toward prescott. Kim & i headed down fr618 toward sedona. We crossed beaver creek at the ranger station/campground & i got a couple more stills.








I had used my camera to take some pics of stuff i was selling & forgot to raise the resolution.. so all these were 640x480.









Kim on his new KLX.. he's going to have to get all new riding gear!







It was a good ride.. only about 100 miles for me & Kim.. probably double for Tom. My bike needs some suspension tweaks, i found out.. very stiff. Both the honda & the klx were softer.


Now we're gearing up for the Big One. 4 days in N. Az & S. Ut. Probably leave around the 28th. monument valley, navajo reservation, burr trail, halls crossing, smokey mountain trail, hell's backbone.. & more. I should get lots of nice videos, & plenty of stills. I've been looking forward to this ride all year, & we decided today to just do it.


Tom, still thinking about that KLX.. "Hi Paula.. Can i get a new bike?"




scotty

No comments:

Scotty's info

My photo
Sedona, Arizona, United States
Semi-retired home builder. Musician. Former adventure rider. Philosopher. Innovator. Tech freak, genealogist, golfer. Cosmic Watcher.